• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Stargate SG-1 : The Alliance Footage

Borman

Hey everyone, a bit of self promotion, but I finally got my hands on a playable version of Stargate SG-1 The Alliance. I have enough material to keep me busy for a long while, so stick with me if I bump up this thread. After 5 long years of searching, I am finally happy to be able to make this post. I am a researcher of sorts, you've probably seen some of the other games I revealed, like Diablo on the Gameboy, or Star Wars Battlefront III more recently.

1085703610.jpg

This version of the game is of the Xbox version. Yes, it is early, but for an Xbox 1 game it was showing a lot of promise. I know I posted about some video a week or two back, but that was lower quality, and unrelated to this discovery.

I'll be doing a lot of recording whenever possible. Unfortunately, the game doesn't run in 480p mode, so I am stuck doing 480i capture, but that's okay.

Video for the 1st part of the Tok'ra mission reposted, in higher quality (much higher!)

http://ptoponline.com/?p=207

The videos below this line have been pulled since they were of lower quality :
__________________________________________________________________________________

The first two videos I've posted are...

CTF-Abydos, a multiplayer map
http://ptoponline.com/?p=176

and a mission featuring General Hammond, voiced by the late Don S. Davis. Kind of nice to hear him in his role one more time.
http://ptoponline.com/?p=184

Added : The Tok'ra http://ptoponline.com/?p=188

New video : Langara, homeworld of Jonas Quinn
http://ptoponline.com/?p=195

That's it for now, but if you have any questions about the game, I'll do my best to answer them or figure it out. A lot of the cutscenes aren't implemented, but the voiceovers do exist.

Borman

:D

Probably would have bought this even if it was just an average FPS.

Just playing it, I dont think it would have lit the world on fire, but even comparing it to the games that were out at the time, it is quite good actually. It certainly feels solid, even in this early state. Sure, it is incredibly unbalanced, and who knows how the multiplayer would really have played out, but still.

seemed iffy when i played it at E3 years ago.

i was (still am, a little) a sucker for the franchise so i would've liked to have played it anyway.

seemed iffy when i played it at E3 years ago.

i was (still am, a little) a sucker for the franchise so i would've liked to have played it anyway.

Indeed.

This makes me sad there was never a SG-1 game. Unless there was a f2p one that came out that I'm forgetting.

I remember a PS1 game based on the movie, but I never played it.

The Stargate franchise has been completely underutilized in games. Now, I don't know how good a seemingly generic FPS would be as opposed to some other approach (perhaps ripping off Mass Effect?)

But there's a rich world there that worth exploring in a game. Shame about the MMO (not that it would have been good either.)

Swifty

Think about how similar the premise of Stargate SG-1 is to the premise to X-Com.

Now imagine a Stargate Command strategy simulation game where you manage the Cheyenne Mountain complex, organize research, and control off-world SG teams as they combat threats and procure new research and establish diplomatic contact with other societies.

That's THE game I want to play.

Jac_Solar

How do you even start searching for something like that? Do you contact the people who worked on the project and ask if they still have the assets/content lying around somewhere, or does it tend to default back to the IP owners on these well known franchises? Not sure who owns the Stargate SG-1 IP though.

On the subject of the game itself; I wonder how good any sort of Stargate game could be? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'd just like some opinions from people who would really want a Stargate game.

I've seen all/own most of the seasons of Stargate SG-1 (And + Atlantis, and saw the Stargate Universe show too. The first Stargate Universe season had considerably better writing, or dialogue in particular.

The dialogue had very little of the typical tropes/cliches, atleast in my opinion, and I felt it was very unique. The show in general got quite bad in the second season though, especially when they got to the first episode with the "planets" and all that. Bleh.

krae_man

Wow, Walter did a lazy read of "Unscheduled off-world activation". That's his bread and butter and he just phoned it in.

Karak

I would have been all over this if it had come out. Stargate is underused as another poster put it. I mean think about it

And RPG where you create and outfit your own team going to pregenerated and random worlds in an episodic style mission base. Working your way to SG1 status. The main shows players doing voices for various characters.

I would have die for that game.

Borman

How do you even start searching for something like that? Do you contact the people who worked on the project and ask if they still have the assets/content lying around somewhere, or does it tend to default back to the IP owners on these well known franchises? Not sure who owns the Stargate SG-1 IP though.

On the subject of the game itself; I wonder how good any sort of Stargate game could be? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'd just like some opinions from people who would really want a Stargate game.

I've seen all/own most of the seasons of Stargate SG-1 (And + Atlantis, and saw the Stargate Universe show too. The first Stargate Universe season had considerably better writing, or dialogue in particular.

The dialogue had very little of the typical tropes/cliches, atleast in my opinion, and I felt it was very unique. The show in general got quite bad in the second season though, especially when they got to the first episode with the "planets" and all that. Bleh.

Depends on the game. I try to avoid contacting too many employees, simply because it's a hassle to them, and they could lose their jobs if anything ever got out.

Stargate is extremely open ended. There are a lot of things that were never discussed, and plenty of space inbetween. You had entire SG teams that we never found out about, going to all sorts of planets, doing who knows what. Heck, we even had Russians going on their own for a while. Tons of underground organizations, both on Earth and on other planets.

The key would be to make the game fun and still retain some of what made the show interesting. Where I think this game fails the most is that it is strictly a shooter, while the TV show was about far more than that.

Like others said, imagine a Mass Effect style game. Have your own SG team, and your actions as a leader influence how events play out, and how other civilizations perceive Earth.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Wow, Walter did a lazy read of "Unscheduled off-world activation". That's his bread and butter and he just phoned it in.

They could have used a ton of the ones from the show... but he said it like that. Lazy Walter.

Man this makes me so sad, Stargate and SG1 should have had a game at some point - I think they still could - but yeah seeing this just makes me want it more.

Like others said, imagine a Mass Effect style game. Have your own SG team, and your actions as a leader influence how events play out, and how other civilizations perceive Earth.

Replace the Normandy with the SGC or a Stargate base and win.

Borman

Great stuff. Can someone point me to game boy Diablo?

It was a very early tech demo, just so you know when you find it. It can be easily found at this point (You're welcome :p). All you can do is walk around and swing a sword. Likely not the final build of it though, it may have been worked on a bit further.

All of the dialogue was recorded for the game, as it features a new storyline not seen on the shows. Hence why it is exciting to hear Don S. Davis's lines now.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
All of the dialogue was recorded for the game, as it features a new storyline not seen on the shows. Hence why it is exciting to hear Don S. Davis's lines now.

I've seen the game cropping up more and more in places. Maybe it'll leak out one day.

The game looks soo good :(

Borman

I've seen the game cropping up more and more in places. Maybe it'll leak out one day.

The game looks soo good :(

Only a handful of people have any version of the game. Gaming Liberty got theirs from the developer, so they won't be leaking it. The Xbox version is in the hands of 3 or 4 collectors, including myself, and again if anyone leaked it they would be in deep shit :p

Borman

I might have to wait 20 years.... but it will.

I can never say never, but Im just going off the information that I have in saying that everyone that has it now will likely keep it to themselves. Everything gets out eventually though.

Jac_Solar

Depends on the game. I try to avoid contacting too many employees, simply because it's a hassle to them, and they could lose their jobs if anything ever got out.

Stargate is extremely open ended. There are a lot of things that were never discussed, and plenty of space inbetween. You had entire SG teams that we never found out about, going to all sorts of planets, doing who knows what. Heck, we even had Russians going on their own for a while. Tons of underground organizations, both on Earth and on other planets.

The key would be to make the game fun and still retain some of what made the show interesting. Where I think this game fails the most is that it is strictly a shooter, while the TV show was about far more than that.

Yeah, I love the exploration aspect of games, so having a game that's dedicated entirely to exploration would be amazing. But in order to make a proper game for that, people need to either wait for someone to find a brilliant solution to using lots of procedural generation on various worlds, with automatically placed buildings, or automatically built - buildings, and so on, or a lot of people would have to work for a long, long time.

Gameworlds nowadays are usually 16 square mile if they are detailed to any noticeable degree, and those projects tend to last for several years with lots of people.

Randomly/procedurally generated worlds also need to be exciting and fun, but the elements necessary for that are hard to combine into a procedural solution. I don't think anyone has ever created a procedurally generated world with procedurally generated/random buildings, foliage, models and procedurally generated/random stuff all around several times without any logic errors (Ie a generator placing a building in mid air.).

I recently noticed Outerra has gone into alpha now. Pretty amazing, and there are only 3-4 people working on the project (Along with fans helping out from time to time I believe.), atleast that was the case a few months ago.

http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=637.0

You can explore a procedurally generated planet earth, where you'll only load certain amounts of data (Most of the data is on a server.). The procedural content looks great too, certainly for such a large scale.. You can zoom out and view Earth from space, and so on.

"Anteworld game

Anteworld* is a world-building game on a massive true-to-life scale of our planet. Returning aboard an interstellar colonizer ship built in the Golden Age of Mankind, players arrive on the planet earth to discover civilization and humanity vanished. They will have to rebuild the civilization - exploring, fighting, and competing for resources while searching for clues to the disappearance of humanity.

The game will contain several modes, the basic one will be a single-player game but with player-built locations being synchronized and replicated between clients. That means player can settle in a free location of his choice where he can build and play, and when he goes exploring he'll be able to observe and visit other sites where other players are building their world.

There's going to be also a multiplayer mode for gaming in the existing world.
Sim-connect mode should allow to use Anteworld as an image generator for another simulation program.
In fact, Anteworld is meant to create the basis for an Outerra game/sim platform, allowing to create mods and new game modules that would run on the existing backend.

*The name comes from Latin prefix Ante-, with the meaning of prior-to in time. A world that was. There's going to be an accompanying novella written by C.Shawn Smith that should be loosely tied to the game.
Here's a sample, the epilogue: The Outerra Initiative - Epilogue"

Here's some footage I found at outerra.com

Helicopter http://youtu.be/FwtKHbl0pjs

Plane and Truck http://youtu.be/gf8YQ9WSdiw

Borman

To be fair, there are a finite amount of gates, however large, and the missions could easily limit you to a fair few worlds without going beyond the lore that has already been established. And heck, if they were randomly generated, just have 95% of them look like Canada :)

hiro4

Great find Borman!
I recently started to watch sg1 all over again and it made me sad that there was no game released at all.

Would love an official sg1 game. Probably won't happen again and not with the original voices.

But an x-com kind of game does sound freaking awesome.

Borman

Great find Borman!
I recently started to watch sg1 all over again and it made me sad that there was no game released at all.

Would love an official sg1 game. Probably won't happen again and not with the original voices.

I think most of the cast members that are still alive don't have a problem doing voice overs. I know Michael Shanks has done a few audiobooks recently. But with Hammond being gone, there is only so much that could be done. And it won't be any easier going forward either.

gabbo

Great find Borman!

To have the cast do the VO for their characters/play as those characters... I'd do many an unspeakable thing for that. Sadly, I think that ship has long since sailed.

krae_man said:
"Phoning it in" is being generous. That was terrible.

Jackpot

Banned
This game deserves to be out there for everyone to play. Both the developer and publisher are out of business and the assets are unuaable because 1. Stargate SG1 the series is over and done with, and 2. the assets are outdated by almost a decade.

SparkTR

I remember being so excited for this game, and it looks pretty good even now. Why does everything Stargate related in videogames have to crash and burn?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That was a fun series, I watched through it very recently, though it could be pretty dumb at times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So was this the game they were promoting in the show all those years ago when some of the characters were "trapped in a video game"?

As a joke, you should have been able to play the Patrick McKenna character and have zero aim.

So was this the game they were promoting in the show all those years ago when some of the characters were "trapped in a video game"?

As a joke, you should have been able to play the Patrick McKenna character and have zero aim.

I don't think the game is related to that episode.

We need someone to do some digging on the MMO now. I remember being really excited for it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

We need someone to do some digging on the MMO now. I remember being really excited for it.
Wow, so there were two Stargate FPSes in development at some point?

This really feels like an episode, insomuch as they have the proper references. They even have Carter's father in the game... and RDA is super sarcastic as O'Neill. :p

Strange that Shanks doesn't get any lines... but maybe that's why you play as him?

Edit: a lot of that voice acting is touchy. :p

This makes me sad there was never a SG-1 game. Unless there was a f2p one that came out that I'm forgetting.
Not SG-1 specifically, but an online shooter (Resistance?) did release--but it's since shut down.
I remember a PS1 game based on the movie, but I never played it.
You're probably misremembering--the movie was a bit earlier, so it had games showing up on SNES/Genesis/GB/GG.
DoctorWho said:
Not in a story sense, but according to this page:
According to the DVD commentary for this episode, the computer graphics in this episode were done by Sydney-based Perception Pty, the same company who worked on the cancelled Stargate SG-1: The Alliance .

Borman

This game deserves to be out there for everyone to play. Both the developer and publisher are out of business and the assets are unuaable because 1. Stargate SG1 the series is over and done with, and 2. the assets are outdated by almost a decade.

Technically the company exists in shell form, having talked to the CEO. They could 'easily' be used for a mobile game still. It is not my place to release the game, especially when aspects of it are still usable, despite you thinking otherwise.

And glad everyone else is liking it. SG: Resistance was okay at best, and that is only because it was a SG game that actually saw release.

Shanks has lines in it, just not in the videos you saw. Although he seemed to have the least. Even Jonas was to be in it :)

gabbo

Technically the company exists in shell form, having talked to the CEO. They could 'easily' be used for a mobile game still. It is not my place to release the game, especially when aspects of it are still usable, despite you thinking otherwise.

And glad everyone else is liking it. SG: Resistance was okay at best, and that is only because it was a SG game that actually saw release.

Shanks has lines in it, just not in the videos you saw. Although he seemed to have the least. Even Jonas was to be in it :)

McKay or bust.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

The way they killed of Jonas because Shanks realized he didn't have much going for him outside of Stargate was kind of sad. lol

I don't suppose you can do a full playthrough of the game... or is there even a full game to run through for story purposes?

i-Lo

That sounded like Teal'c in my head :D

I have to say as a Stargate fan, I wish some well known developer with proper funding take a shot at creating first or third person Stargate RPG ala Fallout or ME. Either that or a budding dev can take on the project in some form through the help of Kickstarter.

Aww Jonas, I really liked his character.

As others have said, Stargate could make an excellent game if done right, but it's probably likely we'll never see one :(

Borman

The way they killed of Jonas because Shanks realized he didn't have much going for him outside of Stargate was kind of sad. lol

I don't suppose you can do a full playthrough of the game... or is there even a full game to run through for story purposes?

Ill be recording as much as I can. Unfortunately, it crashes a lot, and is not balanced at all. Cutscenes arent all implemented so you only get a taste of the story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ill be recording as much as I can. Unfortunately, it crashes a lot, and is not balanced at all. Cutscenes arent all implemented so you only get a taste of the story.
I look forward to it.

You should just splice in some of the Goldsmith music (RIP). Or find that DVD commentary where they reveal the lyrics to the Stargate theme song and use that as the intro to all your videos. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqDE8kocoTI

Top Bottom